Saturday, January 17, 2009

Home alone


After facing over 300,000 people at the CICCC ground over a period of two months with all those hustle and bustle, it feels little empty to be alone at home. My family has taken their annual three-week visit to their grandma in Japan. My house is quite big and so the silence (and emptiness) often jolts you. You pause a second and remind yourself you are the only inhabitant. You pour a drink, throw yourself on the sofa, put a DVD (I don’t have cable TV at home) and often fall asleep. No wonder loneliness breeds alcoholism (I haven’t become one still!).

But living alone has advantages too. You can sleep as long as you want. You can leave empty dishes in the kitchen without having to submit explainations to anyone. You are free to go in and out of your home at anytime. You also become more responsible. You have to worry that you closed the water taps, gas nozzles, heaters and geysers. You gather new skills like operating a washing machine and new knowledge that electricity, we boast of exporting, goes for Nu. 3 per unit while we export for quarter that amount. And garbage trucks come only thrice a week. Life truly is a continuous learning process.

But there is one thing that I hate being alone – cooking. That’s when I realise how dependent I have become of my wife. Actually I really don't mind cooking and I “think” I make some edible stuffs. But no one agrees to that – not even my four yak dogs. I get a strange feeling that they miss my wife more than me.

Wishing a nice weekend to all the Bhutanese bloggers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just chanced upon this today and could not help but comment. I did here someone mention a long time back that you did not let your kids enjoy the benefit of a cable TV. I had just shrugged him off. Now that you say it yourself it's just got me wondering.

    What positive changes do you think has it brought to you and your family, especially your kids? How do you substitute your children's need for their need to know and understand the world outside Bhutan? I am sure a voracious reader and writer like you make your kids read and write as well, but can they keep well up-to-date with the happenings elsewhere? Do your kids miss TV at all or you just snuff their wishes off it???

    I let my kids on to TV at their will and I do feel I could be overdoing it and making them too much TV-dependent. Although I 'll agree they are smartening up as well. I still fear for their future.

    Perhaps you will have a good say on this so that it will also prompt me, non-reluctantly of course, to throw out my cable TV as well. I want the best for my kids as well.

    SO your good reply is solicited please. Just don't tell me you don't use cable TV 'cos you are enjoying Dish-TV. hehe.

    ReplyDelete